16. Children and braces – When to bring them to the orthodontist
Dr. Yesenia Garcia, Board Certified Orthodontist in Pearland and Memorial, recommends bringing your child to the orthodontist no later than age 7. Here you have some of the reasons why:
• An orthodontist can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present. • While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
• The check-up may reveal developing problem but recommend monitoring the child’s growth and development, and then if indicated, begin treatment at the appropriate time for the child. In other cases, the orthodontist might find a problem that can benefit from early treatment.
• Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
• In some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing. Through an early orthodontic evaluation, you’ll be giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.